GAU has attempted to achieve fair pay for our members on three fronts:
- Higher minimum stipends
- Across-the-board pay raises
- Access to outside employment
Our first contract, ratified in 2009, established a minimum annual stipend of only $8,100, and employees had no right to obtain a second job if they wanted to avoid financial aid. Since then, we've raised the minimum stipend to $12,000, secured a pay raise (typically 2-3%) every year, and greatly strengthened the right to outside employment.
Not only are many of our members earning below-poverty wages after paying back FSU, but we're also severely underpaid compared to GAs at other universities in Florida.
Four other universities have GAU chapters - see how their minimum stipends stack up:
- FAMU: $10,000
- USF: $11,450 (Master's Students)*
- USF: $14,500 (PhD Students)*
- UF: $15,000
*USF has a 3-year contract in place; in 2018 their stipends increase to $11,850/$16,800; in 2019 they'll increase again to $12,500/$17,830.
- We are committed to keeping GA stipends competitive and fair for our workers.
- We believe in a guaranteed minimum stipend for summer appointments.
- We believe that the University should not balance its budget on the backs of its most vulnerable workers.
We have a lot of work ahead of us, but together, we can make a difference.